Bed and Breakfast in via Verdi, situated in the heart of city center of Florence at just few steps Piazza del Duomo and Piazza Santa Croce.
Telephone e Fax
HISTORY OF THE PLACE AND OF THE ACCOMODATION
First information concerning the area where is located the current building in via Verdi 11, are date back to the Lombard period, when was build the first part of what became Chiesa di San Pier Maggiore and where was also build an important Benedictine monastery. With first city wall building (1173-1175) San Piero Maggiore area was situated inside the fortified city and became the famous, "distretto dei lanaioli" that means discrict of woll workers. In the following centuries the district was interessed by several urban renewals that caused demolition of the monastery and the church in 18th century on which rests was build the palace in via Verdi 11. The urban transformation will end in 1800 with the building of Teatro Verdi that gives the name to the current street. A gravestone memorial in remembrance of the Florentian stay of the famous poet Giacomo Leopardi, is situated opposite the building, in via Verdi 11, next to a wide balcony on the first floor. He arrived in Florence for the first time in 1828, lived here from 1830 to 1833 and find accommodation in in the palace in via Verdi 11 thanks to his Tuscan friends that were active members of Gabinetto Viesseux. In the Tuscan city the poet took actively part in the cultural life and produced some of his most important poems.
SANTA CROCE DISTRICT
The area of the district of Santa Croce, caratterized by light blue color, takes the name from the homonymous church build by minor friars, in remembrace of San Francesco stigmata, their founder. The district included the 2 major political centers of the city: Palazzo del Bargello e Palazzo della Signoria. Its perimeter started with Ponte Vecchio reaching Por Santa Maria, Calimala,via del Corso, Borgo Degli Albizi, San Piero Maggiore, via Pietrapiana, Borgo la Croce and Porta alla Croce along walls reached la Zecca and from Arno came back to Ponte Vecchio. Cow, black lion, wheels and cart gonfalon belongs to the Santa Croce district.
The Santa Croce church is doubtless the main monument in Santa Croce disctict. It has marble facades and is in a dominant position on the homonymous Piazza Santa Croce.Inside the church there are sepulchres of important artists such as Macchiavelli, Alfieri, Michelangelo Galileo Galilei. In front of the church there is a marble statue of Dante Alighieri made by Enrico Pazzi in 1865. On the opposite side it is possible admire a Pietro Maria Bardi baroque fountain, build in 1673 and restored in 1816 by Giuseppe Manetti.
The square has a reptangular shape and houses the traditional and attractive event of the historic (calcio fiorentino) held in the mounth of Juny of every year. Calcio storico fiorentino is probably the most interesting event in Florence in which players of different distict of the city (distinguished by four different colors: red, green, light blue and white) challenge in the medieval soccer.Calcio Storico Fiorentino
Every year in February, Florence became the international capital of the annual chocolate event. The square houses the event came to the eighth edition and has become one of the most important sector to international level.Fiera del Cioccolato